Hello, my name is Jeanette Lee (SC username magnette). I am 27 years old and I reside in a small country, Singapore. I am a teacher by profession and in my spare time, I enjoy watching television, shopping and spending quality time with my loved ones.
I started scrapbooking since November 2008, with the initial intention of only making Christmas presents for friends. The love for scrapbooking slowly developed and right now, it has become more than just a regular hobby. It is an outlet for me, when life gets crazy and even more so, time spent to record down memories of my loved ones.
What are your top 5 favorite products and why?
- Washi Tapes – I do love how versatile washi tapes are. They can be manipulated in any way you like and the best thing is that they are inexpensive and can last for a long time.
- Mister Hueys – I love misting. Be in big or small splatters, they help to fill up the white spaces and add a shimmering finish to your pages.
- Patterned Papers - I am a hoarder when it comes to papers and I feel guilty if I have to throw scraps of papers away. Papers are the basis of your scrapbooking process and it doesn’t harm keeping all of them, just in case.
- Vellum – I love how the use of vellum adds subtle interest. Often, I used them as an overlay over bold patterned papers or stuffing confetti into a vellum pocket.
- Buttons and Brads – I love adding little touches to my pages and that includes putting an assortment of brads and buttons, or whatever works each time.
Where do you find your inspiration?
I usually find inspiration from Pinterest, blogs and online galleries. These are the three main areas where I frequent the most. Often when I listen to the music, the lyrics or the song titles relate to my heart and these drive the inspiration for the titles of my pages. Everyone experiences occasions, when they lose their scrapbook mojo. A good way to overcome this is to find inspiration through sketches. I find them extremely helpful for me to kick-start on my scrapbooking process again.
What is your favorite color and/or color combo?
I am pretty much open to any color as I take it as an opportunity to go beyond my own comfort level. However, I do gravitate towards softer colors such as pastel pink, green, blue and yellow. I am also particularly drawn to white and kraft and you will see me using these neutrals often to complement with the softer colors.
Tell us a bit about your design process.
I can never finish a page in one seating. I tend to finish bit by bit and by the time I am fully satisfied with what I have done, it would probably add up to a day’s work.
I start off with the photo and from there; I grab papers and embellishments that suit the color of the photo. I play around with the layering and only gluing them down once I am sure of its placement. Then comes the fun part, I start adding embellishments to the page and I will end it off with my title and journaling.
Tell us a bit about what else you do since we know you are creative in more ways than just scrapbooking.
Actually, scrapbooking is the only part of me that is creative. I was never good in Art in school and growing up; I was the typical active girl who was only crazy about sports. I have tried sewing on a sewing machine before but have since developed a phobia due to one bad experience. However, I do enjoy doing basic stitching (needle and thread) on my layouts. I find it really therapeutic and it is good enough for me.
Thank you for letting us feature you, Jeanette!!